Friday, March 22, 2013

I Am A Victor

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The other day I was thinking about all of the challenges that I've overcome in my life. A quiet, inner nature made my childhood a lovely thing filled with a rich world inside. When the age of reason began to interfer in my youth and the perplexities of reality overwhelmed me I turned to drinking and lost the years when I should have been figuring out my place in the world. When bottom hit, and it hit hard, I wasn't seasoned to deal with the world but I did, step-by-step figure things out. Life and all it's tradegies seem to come in wave after wave once I got my feet on the ground. It would be easy to feel sorry for myself, and certainly some days I do, but in truth, I am a victor over the challenges in my life. So are so many of the people I love. It's too bad we measure success by what people achieve in the world and not by how brave we all face our failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment