Tuesday, March 05, 2013

I Am My Ego

I feel sorry for egos. In the worlds that I wander through - where people are trying to better themselves, reach some spiritual plane, or overcome their difficulties - the poor ego gets blamed for everything bad. One group wants to crush it and another wants to control it. No wonder egos act up so much. I would too if large parts of the population wanted to get rid of me. Now I found this quote today from Barbra Streisand that makes more sense to me:

"To have ego means to believe in your own strength. And to also be open to other people's views. It is to be open, not closed. So, yes, my ego is big, but it's also very small in some areas. My ego is responsible for my doing what I do - bad or good."
 
Now that's better. "Hey Ego, here's a little respect for you. Thanks for pushing me out of my shell and helping me make my way in the world. I like you. You know if you screw up I'll forgive you. That's what friends do."
 
So make friends with your ego today.

No comments:

Post a Comment