Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Where do I go from here?

Inspiring things have been happening lately. Some I've taken charge of, others happening out of the blue. This last weekend I attended a workshop called Discovering Your Sacred Gifts by Monique MacDonald. I can't remember a time when I felt that comfortable with myself in a room full of people.

I was with some people from work and its funny the perception that you have when you work with others. They see only a sliver of your life and vice versa. So many people where saying how proud they were that I've come out of my shell. Well I don't really have a shell but I can see what they mean.

At work I'm mostly quiet. I'm surrounded by women with very strong  personalities who voice their opinions. I voice mine if I see something that doesn't fit but mostly I listen and collaborate with others, taking their ideas and packing them up. I can see how people might think that makes me shy but that's not me really. I just like ideas. I like thinking. I like to see how I can make different points of view merge into one. Then send it back without the stamp of my own opinion on it.

It's not that I don't have an opinion I just like the challenge of puzzling others opinions out. Often times I see both sides of an argument as equal and valid. It's fun when you can write or say something that makes people take a little step closer to one another. To think outside their own experience and step into the shoes of someone else. I can often make people consider options they've never thought of before.

I guess I've discovered that this is one of my gifts. Leadership of some kind? I don't know what to call it. I think its really a kind of servant leadership. Someone who leads from behind maybe. Perhaps its all about finding a balance. Most folks see a leader as someone who leads the charge over the ridge to take out the enemy. Not me. I like to lead with ideas. Not actions. Plans. Not emotions.

But the big question remains, where do I go from here. Maybe I'll just blurb on and on here on the blog and figure it out. Perhaps by writing for myself, I can lead myself to where I want to go. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment